[RULE] What should go in the RULE install guide?

Da Worm DaWorm at comcast.net
Sun Mar 30 11:18:33 EEST 2003

>...are you familiar with insmod,

No, but I could look it up if I knew that I needed it.

>ifconfig,

I have used this once or twice before in my experiments with Linux, but claim zero expertise.

> & wget?

No, but again, I could look it up if need be.  Google is my friend.

> Do you know how to write a bash script using a for-loop?

I am not sure why a for loop would be necessary to load a network driver, and use this to start an FTP install.  Back at some 6.x Redhat, I managed it without ever writing anything in Bash, but that was on a system fully supported.  I no longer have such a system for any current distro, hence my interest in RULE.

>Do you have the correct modules copied onto disk 2?

When copying from a windows environment, the files are not correctly marked as executable.  I suppose this is what insmod is for, but have yet to look it up, as I had no knowledge that I needed to.  Perhaps this is the clue that I need.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but I have been using computers since the days of CP/M, DOS, and most Windows flavors.  I have installed and discarded several versions of BSD and Linux, discarded mainly because there was no documentation readable by the uninitiated.  Bash windows all you want, but man pages still don't hold a candle to the windows help system.  Five years of trying, off and on, has led me to believe that things are finally getting better, so I am trying again.  But if this project hopes to attract those who know nothing, at least it should be able to help those who know just a little.  If a computer professional who hasn't yet learned Linux can't get the system installed, then someone who has never even heard of it hasn't a chance.

I'll be happy to write up a "noobies guide" if only I could get past the initial hurdles.  I know I need a network driver on the boot disk (or the secondary driver disk).  I have found the scripts to modify to load this driver, and the command line parameters to pass to it.  What I don't know is how, from a windows box, to get the driver on the disk in such a way as I can run it.  Once there, and once it can be ran, I am sure I can continue on with an FTP installation (since I have no CD-ROM to install from on the target machine).  Its just getting there that is causing me grief.

Jeff.