[RULE] Problem starting X (GUI)

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Mon Apr 21 03:39:24 EEST 2003

On Sunday 20 April 2003 04:45 pm, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

Hi Ingo,

> > $ rpm -qa | grep XFree
>
> XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72
> XFree86-font-utils-4.2.0-72
> XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72
> XFree86-4.2.0-72
> XFree86-xfs-4.2.0-72
> XFree86-base-fonts-4.2.0-72
> XFree86-xauth-4.2.0-72

OK, looks reasonable. I selected a bare minimum for the base RULE install.
You may want to add more packages depending on what you are trying to get
running. For a starting point, here is the package set from my 8.0
desktop:
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72
XFree86-font-utils-4.2.0-72
XFree86-base-fonts-4.2.0-72
XFree86-twm-4.2.0-72
XFree86-4.2.0-72
XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.2.0-72
XFree86-xauth-4.2.0-72
XFree86-devel-4.2.0-72
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.0-72
XFree86-tools-4.2.0-72
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.2.0-72
XFree86-xdm-4.2.0-72
XFree86-xfs-4.2.0-72
XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.2.0-72

> > You can verify that no dependencies are left unsatisfied:
> > rpm -qa | grep XFree | xargs rpm -V
>
> (nothing) - so IMHO anything ok

Correct, no output means no problems found.

> > Then, let's see the defined font paths:
> > $ /usr/sbin/chkfontpath
>
> Current directories in font path:
> 1: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
> 2: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled
> 3: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled
> 4: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
> 5: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
> 6: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
> 7: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
> 8: /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1

Looks about right.

> > For the stock Red Hat version of X, the font path in XF86Config
> > should read:
> >
> > FontPath   "unix/:7100"
>
> ok, I put the XFConfig back to this state

OK, good.

> And the result is, that now we have some "GUI" - but it is not Gnome,
> and I do not know what it is, please have a look at these pictures:
> http://ingo.netomania.at/vum/GUI-Problem/index.html

Correct, it looks like a basic X session with an xterm and no window
manager.

Did you select the Gnome and/or KDE packages at install time?

metacity, which is the default UI for both Gnome and KDE may not be
installed. If not, try installing that. It is on CD1.

Once Metacity is installed, what might work is running 'switchdesk' from
within that xterm window. In the meantime, I'll look over the package
lists and see what might be missing. Actually, so that I can look into
this more, I'm doing a slinky install of Red Hat 8. I'll find out what it
takes to get a Gnome session running.

If your test machine doesn't have a lot of RAM, you might want to try one
of the smaller window managers as well. I've built several possible
choices:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/