[RULE] About the screenshot tool

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Mon May 12 07:52:24 EEST 2003

On Sunday 11 May 2003 09:02 pm, Jason Bechtel wrote:
> I used to do screen shots with
>
>    xwd | convert ...
>
> which only required ImageMagick.  Where does
> netpbm come into play?

Marco's script calls /usr/bin/xwdtopnm, which is provided by netpbm-progs.
Perhaps the script can be changed? Here is the main portion of the script:

Xdialog --menubox "Screenshot tool" 10 25 5 \
                "-root"  "Whole desktop"    \
                "-frame" "Single frame"     2> /tmp/screenshotsettings
sleep 5
xwd -out /tmp/temp_image `cat /tmp/screenshotsettings`
/bin/rm -f /tmp/screenshotsettings

xwdtopnm /tmp/temp_image  > /tmp/temp_image.pnm

Xdialog --inputbox "Save as: (png)" 10 25 \
                "screenshot" 2>> /tmp/screenshotsettings

convert  /tmp/temp_image.pnm `cat  /tmp/screenshotsettings`.png

rm /tmp/temp_image /tmp/temp_image.pnm /tmp/screenshotsettings

If it can be modified to use 'xwd | convert' then perl and netpbbm can be
avoided.

> Now, if ImageMagick requires gtkhtml, and that
> requires a bunch of gtk stuff, that doesn't
> convince me that it's worse than pulling in Perl
> unnecessarily.  Gtk is probably already required
> for certain other apps.  I'd be interested to see
> exactly what the entire recursive list of
> dependencies comes to for ImageMagick.

My mistake, gimp requires gtkhtml, sorry. ImageMagick does not.

I'd have to do a clean install to verify this, but I just checked on my
laptop. I did a slinky install with network, TinyX, and laptop packages.
I've added a few things manually, and I don't recall off the top of my
head what they were. This was also installed prior to fixing the package
lists. Looking at the output of rpm -qa --last, it appears I installed,
after the fact:
imlib-1.9.13-12
libungif-4.1.0-15
xsri-2.1.0-5
pygtk2-libglade-1.99.14-4
pygtk2-1.99.14-4
libglade2-2.0.1-3
libxml2-2.5.4-1
gtk2-2.2.1-4
atk-1.2.0-2
qt-3.1.1-6
libmng-1.0.4-3
redhat-artwork-0.73-1
pango-1.2.1-3

The majority (if not all) of these packages have since been added to the
default install if you include X. I was able to install ImageMagick on
this machine without having to add any further packages.

I'll do a clean install and verify this tomorrow.