[RULE] kde from RULE

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Mon May 19 19:51:57 EEST 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 15:08:41 at 03:08:41PM +0200, Kweskin Richard  rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr  wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Is it better to keep this thread away from any specific install?

Richard,
yes, this is a thread that needs to be discussed separately, and a
*very* important one. Thanks for starting it, we need to sort this
out. See below.

> Given a box capable of running kde, a standard anaconda install is
> simple but hardly goes along with "less is more." If one starts
> with, say Slinky, but wishes to end up with kde is it possible
> without as much bloat? What is involved?

It depends very greatly from what you mean with "kde". If you mean
"almost the same thing that you'd have with standard Red Hat, mixing
their stock RPMs" the answer is, as far as I know, no. Plain no.

I've made some research, however. If by kde you mean:

   only the core applications: Konqueror, KOffice, Kmail, maybe panel
                               and some KEdu (educational SW)

   without sound support (ie the  gongs and whistles while you click
                         around)

   with only one plain theme, no wallpaper collections, etc...

   obtained "a-la-RULE", ie lazily and smartly, :-),with the smallest
            possible effort, by messing up the *existing* source RPMs
            created by Red Hat, Inc.

then the answer is that you could probably put together something that
requires a lot less disk space, and less (but not very *much* less)
RAM. The answer is also that it would add a lot of functionality in a
form easier to swallow for end users (see the usability issues
recently raised, with solid reasons, by Ingo)

However, this requires quite some bandwidth, expertise and time: one
should download all the current RPMs (starting with Qt), mess with
them according to the several tips I've collected online, try until
the best (RULE-wise) combination comes up, and build the corresponding
RPM packages. If anybody feels like trying, and has the bandwidth,
just raise your hands, and I'll send to him offline all the material I
collected.

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Imagination is more important than knowledge -- Einstein