[RULE] My Computer Info

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Jun 7 02:46:04 EEST 2003

Jason Bechtel wrote:

> Well, "n/a" stands for "not applicable" which
> means it doesn't make sense for this item.  An
> example of a good use of n/a would be the section
> on the sound card.  If the value in the first
> field is "none" (no sound card), then the value
> in any subsequent sound card fields should be
> "n/a" because these questions are inapplicable
> with a sound-less system.
>
> There are many bad uses of "n/a" in this example
> report.  You can't say that the motherboard is
> not applicable!  You also can't say that there
> isn't one ("none"), because we all know there is...
>
> I think Eugene's suggestion of an "unsure" option
> is a good one.  This is likely what people mean
> when the currently select "n/a".

I work for a company which does clinical studies (medical drug tests).
Data quality is *very important* for us, so we distinguish three
different types of "no data":
n/a (not applicable) means data in this field would make no sense.
n/d (not done) means a test for this datafield was not performed. But
clinical trials work differently than a computer information form.
"none" should be used instead.
n/k (not known) means the answer is not known or unsure.

So I would like to suggest an addition to the preface for the computer
information form:
============cut here=====================================
Please do not leave lines empty. If you do not have meaningful data to
enter for a line, please use the following values, depending on the type
of emptyness:
If you do not know the answer, please write "n/k" for not known.
If the type of hardware is not present in your computer, please write
"none".
If answering a question doesn't make sense (i. e. you answered "none" to
the question if a sound card is present, and are now asked for the brand
of the sound card) please write n/a for not applicable.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 8.0 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/