[RULE] Hi everybody

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Oct 17 22:40:47 EEST 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 14:08:44 at 02:08:44PM -0500, James Miller  jamtat at mailsnare.net  wrote:

> I guess I was suggesting that there might be reasons apart from
> overfeatured apps that might tilt things in the direction of Debian.

I agree. However, as you say, some of those reasons matter differently
to different people. Hence, the decision to focus to the problems
common to all distros.

> Ugh.  I'm a pessimist.  I've mentioned the BasicLinux (BL) project I've
> been involved with on this list.  We had hoped to - as the Mac development
> team did - find out how to get Konqueror to function without all the . . .
> let's say "stuff" that it doesn't really need from KDE.  We didn't get
> very far.  You almost need to be asking the folks that develop this stuff
> to retro-engineer things they're creatying to try and change the world.
> They might view this as mildly insulting, to say the least.

I know. I have actually tried to do that, both with KDE/KOffice and
Abiword. Nothing special, I guess. In every group there are people who
will say "I know what is better for *all* users, and is this". Why
should Gates have monopoly on this too?

However, there are also (always, I must acknowledge) people in each
group that eventually come and say "you could try to do this and
that", without flames. They might not understand why anyone could want
to live without all those wonderful, ubercool pieces of most advanced
technology, but they will be practical and helpful. Of course, if the
code keeps being developed in that way, no kind fellow will make you
go very far:-(

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF SUCCESS THAT CAN COMPENSATE FOR FAILURE
AT HOME.