[RULE] Shorewall - the perfect Firewall for Slinky-installed Systems

James Miller jamtat at mailsnare.net
Mon Dec 29 18:23:35 EET 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 09:22 12/29/2003, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> >just wanted to inform all Users of Slinky, that there is a perfect
> >addition to Slinky-installed systems: Shorewall from
> >http://shorewall.sourceforge.net/ installes fine and without any
> >dependency-problems on Slinky 0.3.97. Its easy to configure through 3 or 4
> >simple textfiles in /etc/shorewall.
>
> I've been using Shorewall since version 1.2.7. It works beautifully, is
> easy and simple to configure, and the author not only spends considerable
> time improving it but also does a great job of providing (slightly grumpy)
> support on the users' mailing list.
>
> Excellent program... I now have it running on over 60 Linux boxes and has
> become my only tool for configuring iptables.

Well, this is interesting to hear about.  Just so that I understand what's
being referred to: shorewall is a program that runs as a background
process on a standalone PC, providing firewalling protection for that PC.
I mean, as opposed to a firewall distro, which basically takes over a PC
and is the only program running on it (it, in turn, providing firewalling
for a network, usually). Is this correct?

Thanks, James