[RULE] Suggestions for future slinkys

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Thu Apr 1 12:03:17 EEST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:50:23 +0200
"M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> following is a list of notes/comments/suggestions/maybe bugs to
> consider for the next releases. They come part from my notes during
> the last install and part (the last two) as specific requests from the
> guys in Tuscany. Any comment is appreciated.
>
> 1) when (tiny)X starts, it signals a hostname lookup failure

I had reported the same behavior for my installs.

> 2) exiting from ICEwm doesn't go back to the shell prompt. To
> reuse/shutdown the machine I have to reboot/shutdown as root from an
> xterm inside Icewm

I use icewm on a daily basis and have always been able to go back to a shell prompt. See my details for installs on rule101 and rule105. Before I start icewm I login at a shell and invoke icewm manually with the command startx.

> snip>
> 5) The icewm menu is empty. This is a huge problem for newbies, who
>    have no clues as to what the names of the right command for each
>    tasks are.

I, too, have been lazy about chasing up menu configuration and have my "usual" apps automatically startup through .xinitrc.

> The (really valid) points of the last two issues are that RULE will
> hopefully fall in hands of non expert users even when there are no 3rd
> party angels like VUM to make it friendlier. For this reason, and
> because one of our major strenghts is that we are not a distribution,
> but a new way to use an existing one, also updating the system with
> standard packages should be made easier.
>
> I confess my ignorance on both points, as I'm one of those twisted
> guys who still use only the prompt both to upgrade and launch apps,
> but the concerns are very valid (and the only ones expressed with an
> otherwise very positive feeling about the project).
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.
>
> Marco

I agree 100%. Those of us already used to these conditions are not ourselves the best "markers" for what is needed as a "ready for newbies" system.

Another unanswered question (in my opinion) is a small app that works as easily as kppp without having to have kde or gnome. I use a script but this is exactly what I was referring to above!

Richard