[RULE] Reducing disk usage

Ingraham, Ed edward.ingraham at siemens.com
Tue Jun 15 16:15:48 EEST 2004

On Mon Jun 14, 2004 13:10:01, M. Fioretti wrote:

>> Any other suggestions to remove unnecessary items?
>
>Sorry if I missed it, but have you checked that there are no
>unwanted locales, and/or documentation?

After tar cvfz /mnt/hda4/share.tar.gz /usr/share
I deleted everything under /usr/share

Later I restored the 3 files
/usr/share/terminfo/l/linux
/usr/share/terminfo/v/vt100
/usr/share/terminfo/v/vt100-am

Now I have this disk usage:

#df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2                 1699       128      1520   8% /
none                         3         0         3   0% /dev/shm

The corresponding package list is at www.wx4s.net/pkglist4
This size and capability appears to meet my needs.

>You might want to take a look at this script, which should help
>in these cases: http://www.rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=20

I didn't grasp the application of this vacuum script.
Perhaps someone could add a paragraph to the description.

Regards,
Ed

Rule-list at rule-project.org