[RULE] Asking to magazines to distribute RULE?

Stephen J Smoogen smooge at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 6 04:42:51 EEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 14:49, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> You all probably already know about The RULE network (old version at
> http://www.rule-project.org/en/rule_by_email.php) and are of course
> invited to join it.
>
> Now, what if I could convince some Linux or IT _magazines_ to be part
> in it?  As in "make you loved and known by the Linux users in your
> country by burning and sending RULE CDs to them, on request, expenses
> paid by the user"?
>
> What do you think? I'm specifically trying to figure out, assuming the
> idea is good, if and which conditions I should put on the deal:
>
> "sending promotional material of *that* magazine, including
> subscription proposal, is OK, anything else (including offers for
> other magazines, maybe politically extremist, whatever that means)
> is NOT"
>
> "privacy: do not resell names and addresses"
>
> etc etc...

When I worked at Red Hat, I remember a couple of requests for getting it
into magazines. When RH was a small company.. the magazines were only
interested in distributing it if it could fit on a CD and RH paid for
all the cd's up front. Magazines usually work 8-12 months in advance of
publishing it so it takes a while to get into the schedule and then they
want the copies printed for them to be included. When RH grew bigger
they were willing to do the prints themselves but wanted to make sure it
fit on one cdrom. In either case their most interest was in how it would
help immediate sales of an issue and not make the issue a loss.

--
Stephen John Smoogen
  smooge at mindspring.com