[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Jul 29 22:04:22 EEST 2004

"Gabriel M. Beddingfield" wrote:

> Agreed.  But in my situation I have a 500MB HD on a laptop.  Booting
> to HD and running the OS from the CD-ROM would free up a ton of hard
> drive space for me.  After all, beating the system typically means
> making trade-offs.

Point taken. This makes absolutely sense, thank you for opening my eyes!
:-)))

> ...But the bigger picture is one that I've been chewing on for a
> while. RULE's game-plan is to track RH/Fedora.  However, the hardware
> requirements of Fedora appear to be quickly leaving the little guy
> behind.

"Chasing" RHL/FC has historic reasons - the RULE project emerged out of
a ranting about too high systemrequirements on a Red Hat mailing list,
so we started with a bunch of Red Hat users.

RULE never intended to be only for one distro, we just started with Red
Hat, and no one has yet created a slinky version (or a separate
installer) for another distro. Personally, if it weren't for their
attitude, I'd try Debian or something debian-based next. Sadly I do not
have the time for that for at least the next 5 months. :-(((

> There seems to be uncertainty about chasing Fedora, and I think there
> is good reason.  Extrapolating into the future, switching distros may
> be the way to go.

Personally, I do not like the way Fedora is going. I'm also not very
fond of the way other Linux distros are going, partly except for RHEL -
which is of course the reason why Red Hat does things this way... ;-) I
am open to any distro (but I dislike Slackware and S.u.S.E. because I
dislike BSD-style Unix. Please note that this whole paragraph is just my
personal taste, nothing more.

The reason RULE has not yet adopted to Fedora is a technical problem: to
fit on a boot floppy and into small RAM, rpm must be compiled statically
against a slimmed-down clib, in Slinky's case busybox. This does not
seem to work with the version of rpm needed for Fedora Core. I once gave
it a try and failed, but I haven't found the time to ask about this on
rpm-list https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rpm-list

If you want to try to port slinky to Debian, or if you want to create a
new installer for Debian, *please* do so! I will try to help you with it
as far as my knowledge and time go, and I'm sure others on this list
will, too.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/