[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Jul 30 22:12:18 EEST 2004

"M. Fioretti" wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 21:04:22 PM +0200, Martin Stricker

> > The reason RULE has not yet adopted to Fedora is a technical
> > problem: to fit on a boot floppy and into small RAM, rpm must be
> > compiled statically against a slimmed-down clib, in Slinky's case
> > busybox.

> probably I already said this, but could you try to just post here
> this sequence of steps, as detailed as you remember it? Starting from
> downloading which sources of which stuff, and what must be compiled
> and packed together to give the .img file?

I'm sorry, I never went that far. I learned from
fedora-legacy-list at redhat.com that FC uses a version of rpm which is
upward incompatible with the one used in the last versions of RHL (the
FC version can be used for RHL, but the RHL version cannot install FC
rpms). So I downloaded the (back then) newest version of busybox and
FC's rpm and tried to compile rpm by using busybox as it's C library (I
don't remember how I did that exactly, I think I did it in the makefile)
and have it link statically (rpm depends on a lot of *big* libraries
other than glibc). I didn't have success, and then Michael Fratoni
reported the same, so I dumped that - Michael is far more experienced in
that field than me.

Best regards,
Martin
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/