[RULE] Install report: 486-66MHz/16MB/1.2GB

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 13 00:32:28 EEST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> 2. Had to set the timezone by hand: # ln
> -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/CST6CDT /etc/localtime
	Does "tzconfig" exist on the system?

> FYI, Install took about 500MB of the root partition.
>
> Future actions:
> I think I'm going to disassemble this computer and use the parts elsewhere.
> It'll take about $50 (new mouse, ISA NIC) to make this computer useable...
> and it's not worth it.  Therefore, I won't be posting this as a "test"
> computer unless someone specifically asks for it.  I'm assuming that a "test"
> computer is one that is also used after the install.

	It would be interesting to see whether this computer is usable
with DamnSmallLinux. Specifically, you do a hard drive install of the
distro, use "click and load" to get Abiword installed, and see whether
Abiword is usable. If it is not then we have no information. If it does
work well (and in my experience DSL has been impressive for this sort of
thing) then it is worth investigating why.

	It's just an idea, but if you are interested in playing further
with this machine then it could be useful.

	Over the past two weeks I have been installing a whack of distros
onto a Pentium 90 with 32 MB of RAM. Differences between certain distros
seem significant.

- Paul

Rule-list at rule-project.org