[RULE] slinky-0.4.02: install FC2 via cdrom, image, rpms, ftp, nfs

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Fri Oct 1 19:30:11 EEST 2004

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:20:10 +0200, Ingo Lantschner <ingo.lists at vum.at>
wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:15:51 +0200, Ingo Lantschner <ingo.lists at vum.at>
> wrote:
It's nice to talk with myself :-) Seriously, I hope this is usefull for
others also, so I keep on ...

>> "switchdesk-gui... .rpm", well which is not present on FC2-Disk1 -
> $ whichcd -v FC2 switchdesk-gui
> CD-4:switchdesk-gui-4.0.3-1.noarch.rpm
>
> So, ... I'll try again with all rpms copied into one dir.

Next try - SUCCESS!
-------------------

This time I copy anything from fc2 disk 1, 2, 3 and 4 into
/tmp/fc2/Fedora/RPMS on nfs-server.

Now it works! System can start w/o problems after install - we have a
working FC2-OS on a PI/100 MHz Computer, with 64 MB RAM and only one 1 GB
Harddrive! Thanks to Franz and the many contributres of the RULE Project.

What I have seen / wishes&recommendations:

* This basesystem uses 837 MB of the harddrive - a bit too much. What
about removing f.e. sendmail&friends and rpmdb-Fedora?
	# rpm -ev rpmdb-fedora-2-0.20040513
	frees 104 MB :-)
	# rpm -ev sendmail
	frees an other 2 MB ( not so much, :-(  )

* GUI: How to startx?!
* Mouse: At least a serial mouse does not work. Although Kudzu finds it
and asks for configuration ....
* Slinky>> Hrmmm, failed to locate /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS
	##may be an advice to change console and mount manually should be given.

Bye, Ingo.

Rule-list at rule-project.org