[RULE] Networking with RULE

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Oct 10 19:01:38 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 12:30 -0700, David wrote:
> I know they are  Realtek card but I dont know which model. Is there a
> command that I can issue to find out?

I think "lspci" may do what you want. Also check out the contents of
the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file and look to see if they've been detected
there.

> > * Which Ethernet card is internal and which is external
> >
> Both cards are internal

No... I meant which one faces the internal network and which one faces
the Internet. Does eth0 go out to the Net, or in to your network? Just
so we know how to help you set it up.

> > * Contents of /etc/modprobe.conf
> >
> There is no /etc/modprobe.conf on  the box (!)

So make one. All you have to have is something like this:

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 8139too

Assuming, of course, that this is the right module driver for those
cards, which it might be (it's the newer driver for Realtek 8139 cards).

> > * Contents of /etc/sysconfig/network
> >
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=digital
> GATEWAY=10.10.10.254                             <<<<<  How
> interesting!!!!!!

I strongly suggest setting "GATEWAY=" where appropriate in the SPECIFIC
config file for each interface (the ifcfg-* file), and only using
"GATEWAYDEV=" in this file. It will save you a lot of grief and keep
your configurations simpler. So try this:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=digital.mydomain.com
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

> > * Contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> >
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp

I'm going to assume that eth0 goes to the Internet since that's acting
as a DHCP client. Hence the GATEWAYDEV= variable above.

> > * Contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> >
> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=10.10.10.100
> NETMASK=255.0.0.0

Add your GATEWAY= line to this file.

A small point: while BOOTPROTO=static will work, you should know that
the correct parameter is "none" instead of "static". It means that you
are not using DHCP, BOOTP, PXE, or any other protocol for automatically
getting an IP address.

> > * Output of "ip route show"
> >
> 82.3.210/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link scr83.3.210.218
> 169.254.0.0/16 dev eth1 scope link
> 10.0.0.0./8 dev eth1 scope link
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lol scope link
> default via 10.255.255.254 dev eth1    <<<<< this looks a bit odd????

Your default route is set to the internal network, which is incorrect.
It means that any traffic for any destination that's *not* your internal
network or your ISP (i.e. the rest of the world) will be directed to
your internal interface. This should be set to the external link.

Setting the GATEWAYDEV= line above as I suggested, then restarting the
network with the "service network restart" command, will set the default
route correctly. Very easy and simple.

Do let us know if you've got this working, OK?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>