[RULE] Slinky 0.4.04

Marco Fioretti mfioretti
Wed Oct 20 12:23:07 EEST 2004

Ingo wrote:

> Netinstalls work - but I have still some problems with Lilo,
> so the final system does not boot. This is mostly due to my
> limited knowledge in Lilo/Booting/Rescue-disks

There is a LILO specific howto at the Linux Documentation Project
Also, where/how does LILO crash? The amount of letters it writes
before stopping (ie L or LI or LIL...) is some kind of diagnostic:
cfr  http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-bootdisk/a1483.html

> > 2) are you using the --nodocs (or something like that) option

It should be --excludedocs, sorry. But check rpm man page for details

> Well, the main advantage of running all packages with one command
> is, that rpm takes care of sorting them. If there is an other
> way in doing this sorting in the $LIST (automated - NOT by trial
> and error) than the above suggestion would be fine.

This is exactly what I tried to do months ago with the DAn tool:

http://www.rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=32

probably it is time to ask again everybody to test/ comment it??

> I thought (correct me if I am wrong) the most fast solution is,
> to take, what the Fedora-Project already provides: The package-list > of its minimal-install, by installing...

The DAn tool above was meant to do the same thing... without installing, just looking at the disks, or iso images. Even better,
actually: once you have generated its database, you could use or
redistribute just that, and others could generate their minimal
package list, maybe for net install... without even having the CDs,
or any already running fedora system. And it could generate the
list in the proper order.

HTH,
       Marco

Rule-list at rule-project.org