[RULE] LinuxJournal article

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Wed Apr 27 11:28:28 EEST 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:23:23 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I emailed the editors at LinuxJournal about the possibility of doing
> an article about RULE for them (I meant to mention this here on the
> list, but forgot - sorry, folks), and after some weeks, the
> Editor-in-Chief, Don Marti, has come back to me with a question - and
> it's a good one. He says:
>
> snip

> I'm interested, but does RULE offer up-to-date
> security updates?  I'm a little worried about Red Hat
> variants since Fedora Legacy fell down for a while
> leaving users stuck with switching distributions or
> building their own updates.
>
> --
> Don Marti
> >>

> Any thoughts?

Yes, Liam. It seems Mr. Marti has misunderstood our project. We are not working on a "Red Hat variant", but rather we are (in a sense) recycling Fedora (and Red Hat in the past) by adapting the install phase and by choosing particular packages as ones we recommend. As a matter of fact, it is worth pointing out that such an approach with newer hardware, too, is an asset, since it flies in comparison with the standard approach.

Another project I am involved with was looking for a computer to be a taperecorder for hours of speech. I was delighted to say that RULE provides Fedora 3 with Alsa, only needing 232 MB of hard disk footprint. Udev and all the other uptodate goodies are there because Fedora 3 provides them.

Richard

Rule-list at rule-project.org