[RULE] Definitely another web server for RULE (was: website still

Marco Fioretti mfioretti
Sun Aug 7 23:03:51 EEST 2005

> On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 07:53 +0200, C David Rigby wrote:
> > I hope Rodolfo is okay! Goodness...
>
> Yes, I am OK. And thank you for your concern, by the way.
> I have had a couple of very difficult months, with a great deal
> of complications and difficulties, BUT all of those complications
> have had happy endings.

OK, this is all what matters. Am I glad to hear you! I *had* started
being convinced that you had had some real accident...

> However, it has become clear to me that I will need to make some
> changes in my life, and one of them is that I must retire from
> technology.
> Other, more important, parts of my life (family, work, flying)
> are demanding 110% of my time

No problem at all. Kudos to balance and common sense!

> Let us begin the search for a new home for RULE.
> I realize that this is piling one more new problem/task onto
> Marco

No problem again, only one comment: in these weeks, my major RULE
problem (after not knowing if you were safe and sound!) was and still
is the mere fact that I still do not know *why* everything went down. More exactly, what is the incompatibility between the latest version
of SPIP and the PHP + MySql setup on the current server.

That is the most urgent thing to figure out, otherwise we might just
find the same problem on another server. Yes, this might be a bug
in SPIP, outside our control, but we still need to pin it down for
good.

Consequently, what is needed are the raw server logs, and all the configuration files for PHP and MySql on the current server.

You might find lots of useful comments in the SPIP list. Unfortunately
I cannot forward to you those messages because I upgraded to FC4
two hours ago, and my email archives must still be restored from
CD, however see here:
http://listes.rezo.net/archives/spip-en/2005-06/maillist.html
http://listes.rezo.net/archives/spip-en/2005-07/maillist.html

the threads where I describe the problem, and the comments from
SPIP veterans. The most relevant is maybe the one saying that
there is no mysql section in http://www.rule-project.org/phpcheck.php

Last but not least: what will happen to your fedora-minimal effort?

*If* you were planning to leave that too, and it doesn't have another maintainer, we could make of all that a section of the new RULE website. It would be a shame to lost that.

Ciao,
Marco

Rule-list at rule-project.org