[RULE] Definitely another web server for RULE

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Tue Aug 9 09:27:23 EEST 2005

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Yes, I am OK. And thank you for your concern, by the way.
>
> I have had a couple of very difficult months, with a great deal of
> complications and difficulties, BUT all of those complications have had
> happy endings. So I am most definitely OK now, and things are going
> extremely well.

I, too, am glad to hear you are well, Rodolfo.

> However, it has become clear to me that I will need to make some changes
> in my life, and one of them is that I must retire from technology.
> Other, more important, parts of my life (family, work, flying) are
> demanding 110% of my time, and I no longer have the time to actively
> participate in the Linux/Internet community as I have done for the last
> 16 years. This is slightly sad for me, but still I am quitting this in
> order to do things which are MORE important to me, so the benefit does
> indeed outweigh the cost.

This is very brave (and I consider your decision to be very wise, though
   it is my loss.)

> Besides, it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to attend to the
> responsibilities I have in this Linux world, including (as you are all
> painfully aware) those as RULE's server admin. In the last four months,
> it had become all but impossible for me to spend any time on this at
> all, and I have caused you all (and Marco especially) a great deal of
> trouble and loss. For that, I most humbly apologize.

It is we who must say thank you for all the effort and time that you
have given us!!

> I will shut down my server as soon as is conveniently possible and I can
> get my 5-10 domains moved somewhere else. So RULE's present
> infrastructure will be going away, IF AND WHEN (especially when) we are
> able to calmly and comfortably set up shop somewhere else.
>
> I will continue to support and sponsor RULE's infrastructure: I will
> continue to renew and run the domain name "rule-project.org", and I will
> be happy to pay for RULE's webhosting on some other server where we can
> actually count on tech support and Marco can have complete and 100%
> access to everything.
>
> Let us begin the search for a new home for RULE. Let us search for
> reliable, solid service (with tech support!) and for enough space and
> bandwidth to serve all of RULE's needs including file downloads. Let us
> search for quality, and not be seduced by any dirt-cheap pricing. And
> when we find a new home, it will be my privilege to cover all costs.

I am happy to announce (I needed time to check first, that is why I had
said nothing before this) that my local LUG here in Greece is very
pleased (they were honoured, in fact at the request) to take on the
hosting at no charge. The physical location is within the University of
Athens, where some of the most knowledgeable (in terms of Linux) members
of the LUG are working.

My role here is as liason. As many of you know, my knowledge of Linux,
personally, is not up to the task for me to do this on my own. However,
as I wrote above, others in the LUG will be doing the technical parts.

> I realize that this is piling one more new problem/task onto Marco, and
> again for that I apologize. I do hope that a few other people can help
> him with this move, since infrastructure problems are hindering RULE's
> development and progress and that's a bloody shame.
>
> Does anyone have a favorite webhosting company? Any suggestions for a
> new home?
>
> Cheers,

I hope what is on offer here puts your mind at rest.

Sincere wishes for you and yours,

Richard

Rule-list at rule-project.org