[Rule] Installation failular

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Tue Jan 10 19:49:02 EET 2006

Hi Charles,

Charles  oblende bgnet bgsu edu  writes:

> [...]
> load in the first attempt. The question is what package was ld.so.conf
> suppose to be in and why wasn't it installed and why was the root user
> never created?

SLINKY creates a logfile while installing. You find it in the new root
partition in: /root/scripts/install.log

But of course if login to the new system doesn't work you have to boot
from the install-floppy again and mount the root partition manually to
get to the install.log. Or use one of the popular rescue-floppies or
rescue-cds to do so.

/etc/ld.so.conf is part of glibc-2.3.5-10.i386.rpm and should have
been installed rather at the begin of rpm-installation.  But it is
only a very small textfile containing lines like
  /usr/local/lib
  /usr/X11R6/lib
It is used to create an index of so-libraries with ldconfig.

So I think there are more files missing than only /etc/ld.so.conf. Maybe
missing space in the root-filesystem.

If possible, take a look at the install.log.

Bye,
- Franz
Franz Zahaurek                        fzk at fzk.at
Gymnasiumstr. 26/7                    http://www.fzk.at