[Rule] Installation failular

Charles oblende at bgnet.bgsu.edu
Tue Jan 10 18:25:55 EET 2006

Richard Kweskin wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:06:30 -0500
>Charles <oblende at bgnet.bgsu.edu> wrote:
>

>>Installing FC4 on my Toshiba Tecra 730CDT I ran into the following
>>problems.
>>

>Hello Charles
>
>Welcome. I am sorry your first experience with Slinky was problematic. All I can suggest is that you try Slinky version 5.02 instead of 5.03. This suggestion is made not because I have anything specific in mind but just in case it points the way to more clues.
>
>Other than that (and less desireable for you) I suggest you try both 5.03 and 5.02 with the previous version of Fedora (if you have access to it) FC3.
>
>This second suggestion comes from the exact same general thought as the first.
>
>Richard

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it out but basically ran into the
same problems, but I do have a few extra clues.  When slinky asked for
the root password it gave unknown uid 0 also during the install I had
seen ld.so.conf come up as file not found. When attempting to login all
I got was incorrect login repeated at me. What it appears to me is that
the root user was never created and that ld.so.conf was never installed.
The lack of ld.so.conf would explain why libpam.so.0 didn't load in the
first attempt. The question is what package was ld.so.conf suppose to be
in and why wasn't it installed and why was the root user never created?