[Rule] slinky and pcmcia network card problem

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jul 23 20:38:29 EEST 2006

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 23:34:53 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 19:12:30 -0500,
>   Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> >
> > I tried using the slinky-0.5.05, a and b images and they all had the same
> > problem.

I did find that slinky-0.5.05b is built with 2.6.17.1 and isn't going to
work with the supplied modules as they are built for a 2.6.15 kernel.
They do seem to be compatible with slinky-0.5.05a. However pcmcia_core
doesn't seem to be included, though I think it is supposed to be. (And
pcmcia.sh still checks for 2.6.9 explicitly. Couldn't it use `uname -r` ?)

The reason I was getting the errors about parsing modules.dep was related to
the version mismatch.

The CD doesn't seem to be working, so my alternate was to copy the modules
over to the boot partition. There wasn't room to copy them from there to
the ram disk, but I think I can get a list of just the modules I need by
looking at what rh6.2 uses. Alternatively I could try unmounting the file
system once the modules are loaded, though I don't know if that will actually
work.

It looks like I may end up trying to build from source, since that seems
to be one way I might get the missing module(s).