[Rule] slinky and pcmcia network card problem

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Sun Jul 23 23:38:10 EEST 2006

Hi Bruno,

Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 23:34:53 -0500,
>   Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 19:12:30 -0500,
>>   Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>> >
>> > I tried using the slinky-0.5.05, a and b images and they all had the same
>> > problem.
>
> I did find that slinky-0.5.05b is built with 2.6.17.1 and isn't going to
> work with the supplied modules as they are built for a 2.6.15 kernel.

Sorry for all these incompatibilities.  I now added the modules-image
based on kernel 2.6.17.1 for slinky-0.5.05b.

> They do seem to be compatible with slinky-0.5.05a. However pcmcia_core
> doesn't seem to be included, though I think it is supposed to be. (And
> pcmcia.sh still checks for 2.6.9 explicitly. Couldn't it use `uname -r` ?)

Of course.  But you can easily change this locally.

> The reason I was getting the errors about parsing modules.dep was related to
> the version mismatch.
>
> The CD doesn't seem to be working, so my alternate was to copy the modules

What do you mean with "doesn't seem to work".

> over to the boot partition. There wasn't room to copy them from there to
> the ram disk, but I think I can get a list of just the modules I need by

The ram disk is limited to 2048k with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=2048 and
that seems to be too less.  But I cannot fix this without recompiling the kernel
and making a new version.

> looking at what rh6.2 uses. Alternatively I could try unmounting the file
> system once the modules are loaded, though I don't know if that will actually
> work.
>
> It looks like I may end up trying to build from source, since that seems
> to be one way I might get the missing module(s).

I try to upload a new slinky-version within the next days
but I have no hardware to test pcmcia.

Thank you for your feedback.

- Franz