[Rule] Website recovery report

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Thu Oct 5 06:56:41 EEST 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 19:32:25 PM +0800, C David Rigby
 c.david.rigby at gmail.com  wrote:

> Hello Marco, et. al.,
>
> I do feel a bit responsible for the SPIP difficulties as I was involved in
> recommending it a while back

You have nothing to feel responsible about, really, you've helped us
all a lot!  Those who don't experiment accomplish nothing.

And, for the record, personally I have nothing against SPIP once it
*is* up and running, it's just that getting to that stage is/has been
too complicated a bit too many times. This would not even be a problem
if it hadn't turned out every time to be some _unknown_ bug.

Anyway:

> I've used drupal a bit before and liked it.

same with me, for other projects

> Do you want to broadly consider other CMS packages, or are you happy
> with Drupal?

if we can't make spip work within one more week, I'd just go with
Drupal. If both you and I already have some basic knowledge of it
(I've already installed it myself from scratch) there is no need to to
start again looking for somethign else. It's almost 6 months that the
site is offline already (mostly for my own fault, ie lack of time, of
course)

> Do you want me to take a closer look at errors with SPIP? If so:

Any help is welcome!

>      have you posted the error messages to a SPIP list?

All the error messages and explanations so far are at these two URLs:

	http://listes.rezo.net/archives/spip-en/2006-09/maillist.html
	http://trac.rezo.net/trac/spip/ticket/602#preview

you should start from there and then post here or to me whatever comes
to your mind as a next step.

> Would you like for me to look into converting the XML output of SPIP
> into a Drupal format?

Yes, thanks. One good thing of SPIP is that it saves all its content
in one XML file. It is certainly possible, with some Perl or other
scripts, to transform that file in a series of HTML files, each one
containing one article and with a title like
"rubrique_name_article_name.html".  Once we have that, reinserting the
files in Drupal manually would only take a few hours, since they are
less than 100 and we could share the load.

I'll send you the xml file off list.

Ciao,
	Marco