[Rule-list] install and post install

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Mon Feb 11 17:21:53 EET 2002

> I would stress the idea that we want to keep the modifications to the
> Redhat stock install/installer to a minimum with the hope that we
> present something to redhat that they can roll into future releases.

Of course. I was thinking more to its size (to ease donwload, etc..),
but this is more important.

> As far as postinstall goes, if we need to adjust any settings a custom
> rpm may work as well as the postinstall scripts.  Once again moving in
> the direction of eventual adoption by redhat.

See my answer to Chris for  this.
Anything doable in user $HOME goes with post install scripts.
daemon config stuff, probably still doable (first release at least) as
said in that message (sounds less work/ stuff to download/maintain/etc)

Eventually, of course, if we can *easily* convince the rpm packager that
our idea of default is the Right One, that's the best thing. Otherwise,
if the only tweak needed is a different .conf file, why don't just do
(and document!!) that after install? Why double RPMs! ?