[RULE] Resource -light apps

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Mon Dec 16 03:31:00 EET 2002

Owen Dorsey wrote:

> Also, after the HDD gave up the ghost, I tried no less than seven
> replacements, used or new, of various sizes !, and was reduced to a
> near-OEM replacement of a mere 1.3GB!

This sounds like you suffer from a really old BIOS. Did the other HDDs
not work altogether, or did they work, but only a small part of the disk
was accessible? If the latter, you could just install Linux on it,
because the Linux kernel should be able to use the complete disk (except
if the IDE controller is not able to address it. Boot a Linux from
floppy and look at the output of `fdisk -l`). Just have a separate /boot
partition as the fist partition, and keep it smaller than the BIOS
accessible part.

>         I realize, from reading all of your RULE information, that a
> primary focus of RULE is to get RHat installable with small memory,
> and I don't really have that problem: it will install, slowly, on my
> computer.

Well, it was the logical step (and the initial "itch"): You cannot
optimize a system which you cannot install! And the Red Hat installer
anaconda requires at least 32 MB of RAM. So it was logical to start with
the installer. Now that it mostly works (thanks to Michael!!!) it's time
to look at configuring the installed system.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/