[RULE] Spreadsheet/DB of the SW, part 2

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 28 02:00:40 EET 2003

Hi Martin.

I realize that you are speaking to Marco, but I'd like to reply on my own
behalf.

>From: Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de>
>...I still see a scenario where a reboot is
>not desired: Imagine someone (like a student) who wants Linux installed
>on his computer, but hasn't any network. He goes to an install party or
>university, there a network card is plugged in, the computer gets
>everything installed, the network card is removed and everything works.
>BTW this is exactly the scenario this very computer here got it's first
>Linux (Red Hat 4 IIRC) six years ago. Back then I had internet access at
>university, and private internet access was *expensive*, so I didn't see
>any need for network, so I didn't want it installed, I needed the space.
>I think this scenario still is valid in some countries.
<snip>

I've never been to an install party before. It sounds like fun. I wonder if
girls go. ;^)

I don't understand how your scenario affects the install procedure. Even if
someone is just lending you a network card, aren't you still allowed to
reboot & continue installing before returning it?

On an unrelated note, it might be useful to have a tutorial on the web site
on how to make our own null cables [correct terminology?], so that people
can install via PLIP. This might make it harder to set up the server, but
the client [which is the 1 that is being installed] can be taken cared of by
the install scripts. The advantage of using PLIP is that it makes it much
easier to install, in that you don't have to open the box to install the
network card, & if I understand correctly, you don't have to worry about
interrupts. But then again, the person might want to setup a printer. But at
least its an option. We can worry about it when the standard install method
is finished.

On yet another unrelated note, a possible configuration is to have a docking
bay/port for your laptops. Your laptop will be able to connect via PLIP to
the docking bay/port, which is just a Linux router that might have Internet
access. The laptop can contain only what it needs. Some people have extra
monochrome cards, so they would be able to install another printer port,
which will allow users to print from their laptops through the docking
port/bay to the printer. Whoopee!! Old hardware is being used!

>I don't say that very elaborate install options should be part of the
>Slinky installer, but please leave the basic network install
>capabilities in! Maybe these more elaborated installers can be loaded
>from the RULE homepage or another disk, so they don't clutter the basic
>installer disk?
<snip>

I never mentioned it earlier, but I believe that even with this new install
method, the RULE project could still keep Slinky & Miniconda around, for
whatever reasons.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong