[RULE] Flux-Box integrated Slinky

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Apr 30 06:29:01 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 05:10 pm, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 21:21:10 at 09:21:10PM +0200, Ingo Lantschner
> wrote:
> > Thanks to the many
> > helpfull tips and the much pre-work from the Rule-Project our
> > association has now a very small and fast configuration
>
> This is really great news!

Agreed, this is excellent news.

> Hypothesis 1:
> > Including or integrating the installation of TinyX and fluxbox into
> > slinky (as an additinoal option/alternativ to Gnome and KDE).
>
> Hypothesis 2:
> > Building *one* rpm which installs TinyX and fluxbox on top of a
> > *Slinky-installed* RedHat9.
>
> Hypothesis 1 requires Hypothesis 2: once we have two RPMs for TinyX
> and fluxbox, customizing slinky so it offers that option is a small
> task. Note that I said two RPMS because graphic server and window
> manager should not be merged together (as a general principle, that
> is).
>
> Concretely, I can build the fluxbox RPM. Pending instructions to the
> contrary from Michael, I will just grab the latest stable version from
> its web site, and package it for RH 9 with the default options.
> (I'll have time to do it after may 7th, however)

No need, I've already built and packaged:
fluxbox-0.1.14-1RULErh9.i386.rpm
(This is the latest release of fluxbox)

> TinyX is a different beast: I'll let Michael speak about packaging
> that SW in RPM format, because I have not 100% clear yet which source
> files should be uses, which compile options, etc...

This is now trivial, thanks to Mike Harris, Red Hat's XFree86 maintainer.
Simply install the XFree86 source.rpm, edit the specfile to include the
kdrive package (%define with_kdrive 	1) and build the packages. Mike has
made a change I suggested, so (for future releases) the servers will be
installed suid (as they must be to work.)
This fix should already be in the XFree86*.src.rpm available in rawhide.
or:
ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/9/XFree86/4.3.0-5/SRPMS
(The source rpm weighs in at about 64M)

However, there is no need, I've already built the package for RH9. ;)
(with the suid fixes)
XFree86-TinyX-4.3.0-3RULErh9.i386.rpm

Both are available on my server. I've just finished replacing, moving,
rebuilding, upgrading, etc. several machines, including my server....
If something is missing, or you find bad links, please let me know.
As I try to get everything cleaned up an organized, I'm sure the situation
will get _worse_. ;)

The above files can be found here:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/RPMS/