[RULE] Call to arms and requirements for the website

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Sat Feb 21 08:50:52 EET 2004

As this discussion has progressed, I have googled about a bit looking
for a content management system that matches Marco's requirements.  For
those who are interested, I have found a couple of index pages that
provide links to a number of projects:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Web/Portal/Content_Management_System/index.shtml

http://www.oscom.org/matrix/index.html

There is, to put it lightly, a wealth of information.  Somewhat
overwhelming, even.

 From other responses, it appears:

That James Miller knows someone that has the skills to rapidly assemble
a system that Marco can then maintain.  This seems like a winner.  I
have time to help, but lack in-depth knowledge of key components of
website construction.  I'm learning, but the desired deadline of 5 - 6
weeks is probably out of reach for my doing something useful.

That Rodolfo Paiz's server can handle a full-blown Apache/PHP/MySQL CMS,
as long as we use something that is mature enough such that it is not a
security risk for his shared host.  I know nothing about cPanel, but is
it this project?

http://www.cpanel.net/

About the only thing I can offer at this point is that I have an older
system here (Dual PII-333 Overdrive CPUs on a PPro motherboard, 256MB
RAM, one 6GB IDE drive and two 4GB SCSI disks on an Adaptec 2940-AU
controller that I hope to setup as a software RAID-based file store)
that we can experiment with, if there is interest.  I am willing to set
it up as desired for us to practice on (currently it is running the
Userlinux-server variant of Debian unstable) and give access to people
that I recognize from the list, or that are recommended by such.  It is
behind a firewall on an ADSL line (1Mbps down/256kbps up) and I can
tweak the firewall a bit to try to get half-way decent uplink
performance.  I have a freebie account through dyndns.org, so one can
find it easily enough.  Should be sufficient for testing, but not
production.  If I have the correct site for the aforementioned cPanel
above, then I will not be able to install that, as it appears to be a
for-charge product well beyond my financial means.

CDR