[RULE] Mini-KDE

Peter E. Popovich peter at popovich.net
Tue Jul 20 22:13:28 EEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, david jamison wrote:
> This is probably not the right list for asking advice on this but might help
> someone trying to follow attempting what im trying to do here!
>
> So here goes!
>
> I am attempting to install Qt on the box that has a bare RULE install. To do
> this I *think* I need to also install GCC and GLIBC so working from RPMfind I
> choose gcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm and glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm as they are both
> for RH9.
>
> GLIBC installs fine.  GCC gives a dependency of glibc-devel >= 2.2.90-12.  So
> RPMfind gives me glibc-devel-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm for RH 9 which in turn gives
> a dependency for kernel-headers >=2.2.1 again RPMfind gives me
> kernel-2.4.20-30.9.i386.rpm which is a 13MB file for RH9 so im assuming this
> is an entire updated kernel? When this is installed glibc-devel still wants
> the kernel-headers >=2.2.1.
>
> So question is where did I go wrong?  Im pretty sure using the kernel rpm is
> not correct but there does not appear to be a kernel-headers rpm for RH9. I
> tried kernel-headers-2.4.17-1.i586.rpm but this wants kernel=2.4.17 (which is
> obviously fair enough)
>
> I have Qt running nicely on my Mandrake box but I was able to install the GCC
> and GLIBC from mdk files which sorted out the dependancies itself.

i'm not a qt expert or anything but chances are, if you're just trying to
install an RPM that has a qt app, you don't need gcc or glibc-devel.

if you're actually trying to write a qt app, or compile (aka "make") a qt
app, then you probably do need gcc, glibc-devel, glibc-kernheaders, and
qt-devel. you may also need libstdc++-devel, et. al...

(kernel-headers is provided by glibc-kernheaders, not kernel)

Rule-list at rule-project.org